Saturday, February 25, 2012

48 Day Juice Fast: Day 4

So, day 4 is coming to a close...kind of a weird day. David and I have been craving solid food like crazy. We've been even looking at pictures of food online. I'm dying right now for a vegan tempeh and black olive pizza and it's really hard to come to terms with the idea that I can't actually eat anything for 44 more days.

Last night, David and I went to Buford to watch the movie 'Wanderlust' with my friend Ashley, who was an extra in the movie. It was awesome getting to see her on the big screen. We greeted her by rolling out the red carpet when she showed up at the theater.


Before the movie, we headed over to a great juice bar in Sugar Hill called Juices Wild. The owner, Dan, is extremely knowledgeable. He has juice fasted before, so I have asked him so many questions about healthy juice fasting in the past and of course had more questions for him this time. While there, we grabbed some kelp granules (great iodine and sodium supplementation- highly recommend for juice fasting), a young Thai coconut and I got a wheatgrass shot with ginger and cayenne--yuck! I forgot how much I hated wheatgrass, but that plus a shot of coconut water kept me full for the rest of the night (which was a good thing because right after that we sat in a restaurant with our friends and watched them eat).

Today, to deal with our cravings, we thought it would be a good idea to skip the carrot/ginger/apple juice and green juice we've been having most of the time and go for some raw "V8" style juice.

So what was in it? ALOT: A bunch of tomatoes, a quarter head of cabbage, 3 celery stalks, 2 carrots, 1 chili pepper, half an onion, (do not recommend that much for future batches), 1 green bell pepper, 1 red bell pepper, 1 small beet, 3 kale leaves and 1 clove of garlic.










This yielded about 56 ounces of juice. I also added a bit of Pink Himalayan Salt that was dissolved in water to the juice. We drank as much of it as we could but quickly realized we put way too much onion in it. It was my first time juicing an onion and was not aware how powerful onion juice is. Anyway this is the bulk of what we had today and the sulfur content was a bit too high, so next time, we will be doing a very small amount of onion.

I was very happy to finish off this evening making and enjoying some amazing juice--I had gotten the idea from Dan at Juices Wild, who combines grapefruit, lemon and orange. I added a bit more orange in my version and dubbed the juice with the name, "Sunshine in a Glass"...because that is how it tastes!


So that's the lowdown on evening 3 and day 4. Sorry no vid yet. We'll definitely be up for doing one tomorrow. Thanks for reading and ciao!

1 comment: